- This event has passed.
Walking Tour: A Stroll Through History (Encore Event)
Wednesday, May 5, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree
Members only–free. Registration required. To RSVP, please scroll down. The day before this event, a confirmation email will be sent to registered attendees with additional details. Due to popular demand, this is a repeat of an event originally offered on April 7.
Are you curious about iconic Mid-Century Modern architecture? What better place to celebrate National Walking Day than a (social-distance) walking tour of downtown Chicago exploring the works of its famous modern architects, such as Mies van der Rohe, Bertrand Goldberg and SOM, and the city that was ready and willing to accept them.
Join member Frank Chale, a former Chicago Architecture Foundation docent, on a two-hour tour of downtown to find out what set these modern buildings apart from their predecessors and how they helped set the stage for the future. If you’re interested in iconic buildings, public art, urban planning or government, this is the tour for you.
The group will meet at the Art Institute, please be prepared to walk for two hours. The group will not take any unplanned stops or breaks.
To join our limited in–person events:
- Registration is required (including guests) with no more than 10 participants.
- Social distancing is still recommended when possible.
- Attendees who feel ill or have recently traveled out of state in the last two weeks should stay home.
- Per new CDC mask guidelines: Attendees who are vaccinated are not required to wear a mask at small outdoor public gatherings (unvaccinated and immunocompromised individuals should still wear a mask).
- All attendees should still bring a mask in case social distancing is not possible. Masks are still required on public transit and indoors.
- Reservations required for all events.
- For virtual programs, links will be sent to registered attendees via email the day before the event.
- For in-person programs, The Village Chicago aims to match participating members by request to Village events when other members who are attending the event are able to provide transportation. When registering, please let the Village office know if you are able to drive or would like a ride to an event.